Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Day Off

Yesterday the area school districts were on holiday.
We decided to take the day off as well. I mean the WHOLE day off.
Three friends came to play. We did no school and no chores.

Today my house is a wreck.
All four laundry baskets are full.
The kitchen is a mess and a half.
I'm a little out of sorts, but ALL of my children seem happy.

Why doesn't anyone notice the overwhelming amount of clutter?
I feel I should bring it to their attention quite soon.
1:00 pm, perhaps.
It's neither MLK jr's birthday, nor Landen's, so I believe this afternoon we will have to come to our senses and find our productive groove.

I let Ardyn and her friend "create" in the kitchen yesterday. They cleaned up after themselves for the most part, but then I let the boys help themselves to snacks during their late night video party. Besides the stench of burnt popcorn that is bound to resurface the next several times we use the microwave...It's just the sink. The drain is stopped and there is a frightening blend of "flavored water", corn kernels, apple peels, re-hydrated jerky, and floating marshmallows. This concerns me the most. Marshmallows--unscathed by an overnight soak in acidic fluid. You'd think they'd be water-soluble, at least. Disturbing. S'more? N'more.

I'll bid you farewell, gather my various forms of Lysol, and assemble my giddy little children and together we will conquer our self-inflicted chaos.

Thank You, Lord, for holidays.
Thank You, Lord, for the restoration of order.
May our sweetness be as resilient as marshmallows.