Sunday, October 07, 2007

Busy Beavers & Lucky Ducks

We're good. Busy, but good. The margin of life has become a very thin, fragile line. I hold football primarily at fault for monopolizing all our available evenings and Saturdays. This is the last week of regular season. Playoffs? No thank you...don't tell the boys.

Thursday, James, the kids, and I drove to Arkansas to be with my grandmother during the memorial service of her dear husband. It was so good to visit with relatives, and I was glad we made the trip.

We had a garage sale yesterday. Dave Ramsey says we need to get some cash flowing, or logs moving, or something. Philip Johnson says we need to get rid of some of this junk and make some money. I was entirely unimpressed with the vast amount of energy it took to get one sorry ol' log rollin down the river. It put me straight up in a bad mood. Philip was grumpy because I was not giddy. I was offended by his expectation for my giddiness, and discouraged by his grumpiness. I believe James' quote was "Garage Sales are from hell". He may be right. The weather was hellish for sure....92 degrees on the first Saturday in October....whatever!

After the sale, I made lunch and dinner, then did the prep stuff for Sunday's lunch AND made the platters for the sun evening fellowship. By our 8pm post-game dinnertime I was shaking I was so tired. Philip seemed rested and doing pretty good. I said, "I'm about to dub you 'Knight of the Kitchen" for the next 24 hours". He stared at me....reading my eyes for resolute sincerity. He attempted to jest: "I decline". I continued to offer my wide-eyed stare. He studied my gaze, realized the desperation with which I had given my decree and wisely chose to raise one eyebrow and smile. "I mean I accept, of course, I accept, 'My Love". Good deal. I was outa there.

I showered and studied for Sunday School. After some good, good sleep (Thank You, Lord) I awoke, printed off some stuff and laid out clothes for everyone; but after a glass of water and a granola bar, I NEVER stepped foot in the kitchen again. As I stayed at church to sing with the choir for the second service, he came home and made quesadillas, rice, and beans for everyone. WHAT A STUD! The boys had a friend over for the afternoon and some of our friends came for a visit too. (plus on having the platter already done). We all loaded up and enjoyed dinner with our church family.

Now it's late. Philip has already gone to bed. He's been moonlighting (another Dave Ramsey idea) everyday after his real job. It's only for a season. He basically does the same stuff he would normally do here in our yard after work.....he just gets paid for "piddlin". It's a great set-up. He's such a hard worker...seriously. He isn't as easily tuckered as I am, and he keeps such a positive outlook. I'm so lucky to be his girl.

Thank You, Father God, for Your many blessings. Thank You for extra income. Thank You for health and energy to do what You've called us to do. Thank You for friends and family. Thank You for Grandma Billie. Thank You for Leslie. Thank You for Rhonda. Thank You for Papa Hank and Grandma Iona. Thank You for working Your will for our good. We certainly discover joy in Your presence. Thank You for never changing. Great is Your faithfulness!