Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ultimate DateNite

We could not decide where to eat. As we waited in the construction traffic that congests our road between here and the interstate, we considered leaving the county. Which direction? North? East? South is a "no-go". WEST! Because if we didn't leave town, then we would face even more challenging decisions after dinner.

We happily redeemed a Christmas gift certificate at OUTBACK. As we sat in our little wooden booth, a flat screen just over my left shoulder was broadcasting the Ranger game. I could see the incredible conflict of interests flooding Philip's life. I wasn't feeling very talkative, so I welcomed the distraction. I would sip ice water and glance up at him. What a stunning left profile! Sip. Glance. Again with the profile. Oh! He turned to look into my eyes and smiled that charming grin that has been my downfall for years. I looked to my left....ahh, a commercial break. The food was really tasty and the company was comfortable. As we left the restaurant, the Rangers were ahead five to one.

"Where to, now, my love?" he asked, trying not to sound too obvious. He continued obliging and offered, "Books-a-million?" I accepted. As we drove in Friday night traffic, I knew I was still not feeling talkative. I knew how much he loves to watch the Rangers, and how seldom he gets the chance. The shopping center that houses B-A-M, also contains a Michael's, and Old Navy, and a Best Buy. I stretched my hand across to rest on his shoulder. I suggested he go in and see if the guys at Best Buy could tune in the game. He turned abruptly to see if my facial expression would determine if I was joking or not. I was not joking. I was really excited about the impromptu shopping spree and I knew he would prefer baseball over flip-flops, florals, and page-flipping. I leaned over to kiss him and told him to meet me when the game was over.

As we were getting out of the car, I saw a friend and her husband between a row of cars. I waved and shouted, "Hello". They asked what we were up to. I cheerfully replied, "DateNite!" and turned to smile at my date. He was walking across the parking lot toward the opposite end of the shopping center. I looked back at the couple. They were giggling. There was no time to explain, so I just giggled too. I found a flag shirt for $5, a craft for $1.40 and a nice, cushy chair and a pile of interesting books for zero dollars. Philip found me after the Rangers had triumphed.

Datenite is ultimately about meeting one another's needs. So, all things considered, it was a great evening. We won't make a habit of it....you know, just consolidating childcare for each of us to have separate alone time...but for a one time change-up, it was a winner!

When we got home, we explained the strange turn of events to James. He kept rocking in the recliner and mumbled, "That's exactly what happened on 'King of Queens' tonight." I'm not sure that's a good sign.

Thank You, Lord, for the quiet comfort of companionship. Thank You for all the really great, deep, conversations Philip and I have had over the last several weeks. Thank You that just being together (sort of) was enough to strengthen us last night. Thank You for drawing us closer to You and to one another. Thank You for Your love.