Saturday, July 15, 2023

So Here's the Deal

Writing is like quilting for me. I gather segments of my days and mental snapshots of experiences and as I lay them out, I find pleasant patterns and colorful balance. 

I stich and sew, a little at a time, word by word, and phrase by mentally melodic phrase. 

Sometimes amid the purposeful structure and shaping, there emerges a kind of beauty and warmth I could only hope for. Careful to bat and bind each idea with the truth of Scripture, each piece is an adventure for me. 

This "quilting" is a self-serving endeavor at its roots … my release and expression, my hobby and joy. All my days are spent mentally weaving words. But when I share my pieces, some of my friends and even a few strangers seem to enjoy them too ... kind indications that there is value in the comfort, warmth, and design. 

Social media has been like displaying my "quilts" at a flea market (without the giant turkey legs). Passers-by pause to engage. Each cheerful heart affirms the landing and I watch as some enthusiastically share with their friends. *I am genuinely surprised by these generous responses almost every time. 

Occasionally, I have opportunities to create commissioned pieces. Sometimes I even get paid for my work. It's all just a marvelous gift.

Last year, I made it my goal to self-publish a collection of my pieces (essays not bedspreads ha!) by the end of summer for the purpose of making them available to your friends and mine.

It's called "Mile Marker 52 | A Year of Companionship, Wisdom, & Truth". Just 52 brief but thoughtful opportunities to sharpen the focus or soften the edges of our lives together … whatever works, a little at a time. 

The goal is to have it ready in time for my 52nd birthday in late August. Get it? 52=52. I am sneaky and attached my goal to a fixed moment in time so postponement is simply not an option. I have been knowing me and all my procrastinative weaknesses for a WHILE.

Am I excited? A little. Do I have time to be messing with is? Not really, but I said I would do it and it feels super icky to give up now.

This is my dream-laced prayer ... that my little "crafting projects" continue to prove to be useful and / or enjoyable to whoever chooses to partake.

Thanks for all the ways you are already helping to make this a super sweet deal.💗