Friday, October 15, 2021

Giving Gifts

The note said, "It's your birthday! I thought you'd like to share with your friends!"

My sister-in-law sent a giant take-out bag containing an assortment of individually boxed desserts with eight pouches of plastic cutlery to my office which provided me with the most enjoyable afternoon.

"Hello? Hi! Can you stop by my office in a minute?"
"Hey! Come over here! I have something for you!"
"No, you choose what you like. I like them all so I'll be happy with the last one."

So much joy. Rising and rolling over. Becoming more.

I felt a strange confidence ...
I found myself in abundance and the only reasonable response was to sustain the rhythms of gratitude and generosity by sharing what I had been given. 

It was humbling too...
Since I hadn't baked or bought any of the sweets, there was no room for the credit to be mine. 

Here's the thing about gifts.

God in many ways has delivered a bounty of good into your life as though His personal message says, "This is the day that I have made! Find joy and share with the world!"

I'm not sure what's in your bag of treats - the assortment of ways in which He has gifted you. Maybe you help, or encourage or create. Perhaps you speak wisdom or teach truth or pray power. Is it making music, heavy lifting, taking a stand . . . dreaming, organizing, seeing things through? Whatever you've got, I know it came with extra forks! 

The gifts He has given are not just for you. He intends for you to confidently, humbly, offer them to others as an invitation to participate in the fullness.

The only reasonable response is to sustain the rhythms of gratitude and generosity by sharing what you have been given.  Since you aren't the one who creates or provides the gifts, all the credit and thanks belong to God.

And many more.