Friday, March 26, 2021

Blame Game

Often, if I’m not careful, I flip the narrative in my mind and make my conflicts or challenges someone else’s fault. 

I call it the blame game, and I can be unbelievably great at it.

My bad mood?  Your poor choices. The change of plans. Lack of coffee.  
(Couldn't possibly have anything to do with my media-to-scripture consumption ratio)

My failure to succeed.  Past hurts. People's opinions. Present obstacles. 
(Couldn't be my fear, my pride, or my laziness)

My critical spirit? You should be better prepared.  You should be smarter.  You should be quiet.  You should speak up.
(Couldn't possibly be my own insecurities or my lack of compassion)

My coldness? Your hurtfulness. My inability to forgive? Your shortage of remorse.
You name it - not my fault.

But here’s the deal: stuff happens. I will fail. People WILL fail. We’re all to blame.
And here's the better deal: Christ offered Himself as a sacrifice, pure and blameless, so that we could become pure and blame less.

We can embrace ownership – or more accurately, stewardship - of this life that was purchased for us. God loves us and forgives us our shortcomings, so we can and should follow His lead as He gives us His power and His blessing to be responsible - to be capable of rational thought and merciful emotions, and willing to forgive.

Even when we are legitimately wounded, we can choose forgiveness again and again.
Even when things go wrong, we can work to make them right.
Even when people are unloving, or unlovable, we can take responsibility and choose love.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 
1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Dear Lord, help us today as we own up to all that is ours, and offer You all that is not ours to carry.