Saturday, January 04, 2014

Problem reSolved

I didn't even make one. 

I rebelled against the entire idea of New Year's resolutions.  From years past, we know the ONLY thing I'll be able to do without a doubt is FAIL. 

Even if I succeeded 3 or 12 or 30 or 62 days in a row, one day I'll eventually stumble or fall or crash.

All week I have sat quietly ... passive and purposefully non-pensive...while January 1st, 2nd, and 3rd have slipped into history. 

With caution, I have considered all the possible areas for resolute improvement.  The volume of opportunity staggers the imagination.

I could...

definitely pray more
or

Read the One Year Bible
or

do Made to Crave: 30 days of Devotions to help you crave God more than food.
or

focus on a Money Makeover: establishing peace by avoiding debt
or

participate in Love Dare: 40 days of intentional living to strengthen intimacy with your spouse
or

start the 21 Day Cleanse: three weeks of detoxification to jump start weight loss and cleanse your body or

implement 365 Days of Manners: Fun ways to help Children Learn Etiquette
or

Read "One Bite at a Time": 52 Projects to help you live more simply
or

I could always Walk 3 miles a day:  prescribed by eye doctors and cardiologists alike.
and don't forget to

take vitamins regularly
and

Read one Classic each month.
and

Write a thank you note each week.
and

Wash my face and moisturize with anti-aging creme every night.
and

Floss every day.

AUGH!!!!!!!!

Never mind.  I'll do nothing.  Since I'm bound to fail, I won't even try.

But this morning ...  like other non-descript mornings before it ...
A ray of hope and clarity shone through the cloudy skies of self-prophesied defeat.

I've already missed out on the opportunity to do any of these things
each & every
day.

But I have NOT yet missed the opportunity to be purposeful today.

Peace.

Love.

I can read my Bible ... even if just a verse or two to get me going.

I can greet my kids with kindness ... surely they'd prefer that to the typical cranky chore-hound.

I can plan a menu of healthful meals ... and not hate myself when we order Little Caesar's.

I can pay this month's bills and continue to allow God to be at work in, and to be honored by our financial decisions.

I can brush my teeth....not sure if I'll EVER floss.  Honestly.

I can go for a walk ... and think about that Bible verse, and enjoy the crisp air, and pray for my husband and kids, and ponder life's mysteries - like why so many people get hung up on flossing.

As for all the other [wonderful, life-improving] stuff...

I will just have to make myself available to the One who gives me everything I need for life.
The One who gives me life.
Abundant life.

I trust Him to give and take away,

to stir up and subside,

to challenge and expose,

to strengthen and encourage,

to call and answer

to abide with me.

And I will remain in Him.
Resolute.
Today.
and Certainly Discover Joy:)


 “I am the true vine … Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you… Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love… These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” –John 15
 
*revised post originally published 1/4/2012