Sunday, August 25, 2013

Compare and Contrast



There are so many folks who drink health shakes. I know this because they post about it constantly. They post photos, statistics and earnest proclamations of success and happiness.

Some "friends" have even sent invitations to shake parties, and announcements of shake specials.

Gut honest: (pun intended) I find this mildly annoying.
They don't know what's going on in my life. I'm just a name on their contact list. Since they have no idea about my struggles, their enthusiasm is suspect and their invitation seems offensive. I receive it as this: "Hey! You're obviously overweight! You should try meal replacements and see if you can improve yourself."

To the contrary, I have a friend who is a registered dietician. She is the picture of good health. She drinks quarts of water, eats whole foods and enjoys lots of outdoor activities. We've been friends for years. Our kids have played together, we've celebrated birthdays, shared weekends, and chatted through many of life's mysteries. I'll admit (and she knows this) that when I started hanging out with her, I thought some of her habits and beliefs were strange. But she is happy and helpful, and I am drawn to her company and conversation.

She is humble and steadfast. I have never once felt ashamed or condemned by my lack of nutritional education or discipline. She spurs me on toward good choices, sets a great example, admits she's not perfect, and patiently journeys with me as a friend. It is good for me to be around her. I learn. I grow. I'm equipped and inspired to make good choices. When I have a question about nutrition, she is my go-to girl. She knows me and offers sound advice ... like plant a garden and drink more water:)

NOW...
What If ....

What if we exchanged the food with faith, I wonder if this contrast resembles what some people might think of "Christians".

Perhaps they would say ....

There are so many folks who read the Bible and go to church. I know this because they post about it constantly. They post photos, statistics and earnest proclamations of success and happiness.

Some "friends" even send scripture passages and invitations to special church activities.

Honestly, I find this mildly annoying. They don't know what's going on in my life. I'm just a name on their contact list. Since they have no idea about my struggles, their enthusiasm is suspect and their invitation seems offensive. I receive it as this: "Hey! You're obviously not living right! You should try coming to church and see if you can improve yourself."

To the contrary, I have a friend who is a believer in Christ. He is the picture of goodness & health. He prays, reads his Bible, works hard, loves his family and worships with his church. We've been friends for years. Our kids have played together, we've celebrated birthdays, shared weekends, and chatted through many of life's mysteries. I'll admit (and he knows this) that when I started hanging out with him, I thought some of his habits and beliefs were strange. But he is happy and helpful, and I am drawn to his company and conversation.

He is humble and steadfast. I have never once felt ashamed or condemned by my lack of spiritual education or discipline. He spurs me on toward good choices, sets a great example, admits he's not perfect, and patiently journeys with me as a friend. It is good for me to be around him. I learn. I grow. I'm equipped and inspired to make good choices. When I have a question about faith, he is my go-to guy. He knows me and offers sound advice ... like read your Bible and pray:)

"Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." 1 Peter 1:22, Matthew 5:16