Monday, November 26, 2012

Twenty-Six

 
Today I am grateful for my best friend and that miracles still happen.
 
I can remember sitting at the dining table, helping the kids with school lessons. I answered the phone and heard her broken voice. After years of feeling trapped on the emotional roller coaster of infertility, it was hard for her to say the thrilling, yet nauseating two-word sentence: "I'm pregnant." I remember her following it up with another (more obvious) four-word announcement: "I can't stop crying!"
 
She confessed, "I don't want to get my hopes up."
 
Three years earlier, we had been in adjacent hospital rooms-  I with my newborn, and she having just endured a ruptured tubal pregnancy. Unspeakable. No words...nothing to do but pray with one another and offer reassuring, heart-wrenching smiles through our teary eyes.
 
But on that day when her call happily interrupted spelling lists and long division ... we marveled at God's goodness.
 
"I don't want to get my hopes up," she sobbed.  I remember my response. "Then, we shall pray for courage  - courage to put our hope in God ... not in this pregnancy. That way our hopes can be up. Today, you are pregnant. And we live today. Today, you are crying uncontrollably, you're puffy, and if I were to say the word "tuna", you just might barf. So this is reality. We'll live tomorrow's reality tomorrow. Today God has placed a baby inside you. Praise Him!"
 
Kate is two now and a beautiful reminder that miracles still happen.
 
Thank You, God, for Kathy and for "Baby Kate".