Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Play on Words

Recently someone emailed this to me.

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseaethe huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? 

I found the email really intriguing because - for weeks -  I had been pondering these two words. Sacred vs Scared: two words that begin and end the same,  but how you order the interior letters makes all the difference.

Sacred: set apart, devoted to the service of God. Reverently dedicated to a person or purpose.

Scared: to suddenly fill with fright, alarm, or worry.

So often, the circumstances of life call for fear. My instinct is to become scared, but I can blink and look again. With renewed vision, I can realize a deeper devotion and a higher purpose.

My husband is away. Am I nervous about being overwhelmed, or focused on the promise that God will take care of us all?

My child is disrespectful. Am I anxious and irritated, or  purposefully prayerful and consistently kind?

Finances are shaky. Do I worry about tomorrow, or surrender to God's plan today?

People are mean. Shall I react with alarmed defense, or rise to God's loving standard and respond with forgiveness and grace?

I battle depressed laziness. Will I write myself off as a loser, or choose to see myself the way my patient Creator sees me - in need of a fresh word of truth.

Government seems to be growing in power and ignoring wisdom. Am I frightened for the future, or determined to live at peace and do what God requires?

God says, "Fear not!" Evidently, when the task or thought ahead of me reads "scared",
I have the opportunity to choose to read "sacred".

Same beginning and end,
but perceived with gratitude and ordered in such a way to bring abundant life.

This is how the Psalmist phrased it...

"In God, whose word I praise,
in the Lord, whose word I praise—
in God I trust and am not afraid.
What can man do to me?
 
I am under vows to you, my God;
I will present my thank offerings to you.
For you have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life."
Psalm 56:10-13