Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Neither Nor?


Mari asked, "Would you rather die or spend your whole life crying?"

After a pause, I asked, "Where did you come up with that question?"

She replied, "I just want to know what you'd rather do: spend every day of your life crying or just die."

When I still had no response, she announced, "I think it would be better to die and go to heaven. There's no crying there."

I never could figure out what made her think of that.  She seemed to bounce back from her existential query straight into wonderings about snow-cones and other snacks.  My thoughts lagged behind.

Depression can make you feel like those are the only two choices sometimes.  And when faced with the notion, perceived preferences can grow blurry and burdensome.


How would you have responded to her?