Thursday, October 27, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY Thursday, October 27, 2011...

Outside my window...
A cold front sneaks across the muggy morning...darkening and chilling everything in its path.

I am remembering...
The first time we took Landen up to Uncle Don's farm for the Fall Family Reunion.  His toddler senses had been overwhelmed all day with sights and sounds and smells of autumn.  In the middle of the night, he spoke out in his sleep - a word he had never uttered in consciousness.  He tossed and turned and dreamed a sleep smile, then he stretched out his arms and charmed, "Punkin:)".

I am thankful for...
sweet friends who agree to meet with me before the day fully begins - such a safe, inspiring part of my week.

I am creating...


Four girls are fully costumed for this weekend with record-breaking minimal effort and within budget.  So now, we turn our creative attention toward Advent calendars for a couple different uses.


I am going...
to get the boys at 3.  AND that will conclude my venturing for today.  (I'm a real go-getter!)

I am reading...
The Yearling, Grace for the Good Girl and Southern Living's Holiday Recipes (yay!)

I am hoping...
this sniffly nose dries up and leaves me be.

On my mind...
how quickly Thanksgiving will be here and in two more blinks, Christmas will have been here and gone.  I want to be "present" in each of these next 60ish days and live each to the fullest.

From the learning rooms...
Ashlin is learning the discipline of neat handwriting...it cannot be done with her usual rush.  Her science experiment involving dirt in a jar is mesmerizing for all who pass by the kitchen counter. Ardyn has new found resolve, and is legitimately enjoying her well-paced studies.  Mari Alice has finished her first reading book.  (her goal was Oct 31)  She can answer addition flashcards for sums through 16...but she is quick to remind that she CAN add ANY thing to a 10 or a 9, because those are "easy-peasy".

Noticing that...
the "no zones" trial has left my house cluttered and messy.  "Every one's zone becomes No one's zone."  A day is coming...very soon...when all shall see....that to whom much is given, much is required.  (doesn't this sound like a fun-filled home?  we'll have fun later.  Can't.Be.Cluttered.Much.Longerrrrrrrrrrrr)

Pondering these words...
"If what I do is done in complete dependence upon the Father, then it doesn't matter what that thing is, rather who the one is doing that thing.  Is it me?  Or is it Him?  Colossians says that by faith, it is beautifully and mysteriously both." -epf, good girl

"To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me." Col 1:29

From the kitchen...
Refrigerated chicken broth awaits a good skimming.  Chili for Sunday night's festival is frozen and ready to heat'n'serve.  All smoothies for today are complete.  And despite all the effort and hooplah, I have no idea what the kids are having for supper:)

Around the house...
Ardyn is back in my room working on the computer.  Ashlin is working on her lessons in her room.  Mari Alice and Elizabeth and their friend, Heidi Kate, are enjoying collaborative industry as my dining room has been imaginatively changed into a cupcakery.  There's no need for Muzak...they take turns singing a rotation of verses and choruses from "Happy Birthday to You", "Great are You, Lord", and an unfamiliar tune to me: "This is the best day ever...snakes, snakes, snakes not gonna bite you...better sit down and roll'em up and take all the candles out!"

One of my favorite things...
Roasted chicken with dijon mustard.

From my picture album...
Gramma Billie with Mari Alice and Johnathan at Uncle Josh's Graduation


To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.