Friday, September 16, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY Friday, September 16, 2011...

Outside my window...
The sun sweetly sets, as a lazy day musters its strength to roll over into evening.

I am remembering...
So many women have spoken truth and encouragement into my life...and sometimes without uttering a word.

I am thankful for...
My kids.  With the boys, a tiny bit of absence has made the heart grow fonder.  With the girls, more opportunities for quality time has produced sweeter kinship.

I am creating...
A menu for the coming week is of utmost priority.  A Christmas party for MP3 must be arranged so we can find the proper mood in which to learn our Holiday songs.  Speaking of December, stockings are moving up the list of sewing projects.

I am going...
Landen has a double-header out of town tomorrow.  So does Luke.  Philip and I will "rock-paper-scissors" for our choice of the vehicles and the girls.  The weather should be lovely, so it will be a good, fun day. 

I am reading...
The Reconstruction of Natalie.  Grace for the Good Girl.

I am hoping...
My wedding ring is still misplaced.  I'd really like to have it.  My emotions are compounded by the fact that my Mom's original wedding bands - complete with her and Dad's initials and wedding date - were sautered around the diamond ring Philip gave me when he proposed.  It would really just be nice to have it back.

On my mind...
It's crazy how it's smoldering hot for weeks on end, and with minimal warning, the store aisles are filled with pumpkins and holly branches.

From the learning rooms...
I'm out of my groove. I think I've functioned "at capacity" for two or three years, and with the boys gone during the day, Ashlin doing dvd's, and Ardyn plowing through all her readers (even the read-alouds)...I feel sort of obsolete.  Less needed than usual.  I'm not complaining...just trying to recalibrate.

Noticing that...
Purple toenail polish that lasts several weeks makes me really, REALLY  happy.

Pondering these words...
"[Not in your own strength] for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you [energizing and creating in you the power and desire], both to will and to work for His good pleasure and satisfaction and delight." - Philippians 2:13

From the kitchen...
Yesterday I was quite the dairy queen.  Our milk supply may be questionable for the next few weeks, as one cow is weened and another calves.  I purchased extra so that I could freeze it.  I skimmed the fat off of 4 gallons.  I used the cream to make butter.  I froze most of the butter (in cute little muffin liners so I could thaw just a small portion at a time.) I also made some cinnamon butter.  I used the leftover buttermilk to bake oatmeal bread...then spread the Cinnamon butter on the bread.  Full circle:)

Around the house...
Two precious darlings are tucked in tight.  Two gabby girls are hanging out in their room.  Three handsome fellas are routing for the Rangers.  One loyal schnauzer lies quietly under the desk chair while one tired momma tries to alleviate her headache by hashing out a blog.

One of my favorite things...
Whataburger ice.  It's soft like Sonic's but in pellet form, so you can pick it up and put it in your mouth like popcorn.  OH!  and popcorn...next time you're on the chip aisle, look for "Indiana Corn" brand kettle corn...packaged like potato chips. Wonderful.

From my picture album... The first time I ever put the "real" ring on my finger.  (Thanks, JW, for getting it safely down the aisle:)  In this photo, my eyes say, "I love you so much, I can't help it!" I also love how I seem to be holding on to Philip for dear life.  Indeed, I was:)


To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.