Friday, August 05, 2011

Piecing it Together


Last week was my baby brother's 24th birthday. Just as I was brainstorming gift ideas, I noticed the pile of t-shirts he left on my sewing table. The collection represented high school and college life and were too special to be given away.

I sketched out a template on paper, penciled in the color initials to achieve balance and contrast, then started cutting up tees. I machine stitched the patterned pieces together. For the back, I used full size quilt batting and a gray jersey flat sheet.

I started the project on Monday morning and made the finishing stitches on Tuesday morning, then washed it and dried it with two snuggle sheets. It's certainly not perfect, but it is handsome, sharp, and cool...well, warm I guess, super soft and sweetly sentimental. Just like JW:)