Tuesday, June 22, 2010

First Aid

This morning Mari Alice was helping me cook breakfast and as she pulled a pot out of the cabinet, a heavy lid fell on her biggest toe on the right.

She cried and limped and cried some more. "Mom, it hurts so bad. I just need a band-aid. I really do."

I sat down with her and inspected the wound. The skin was not broken. There was no blood. I knew her toe probably throbbed with pain, but she did not need a band-aid.

I stirred the food on the stove while she continued to sniff and whine for a bandage.

I coached myself, "She does NOT need a band-aid. Do NOT give in to her. She is three. You are...WAY older than three!"

Her repetitive sobs interrupted my thoughts: "It still really hurts!"

Maternal compassion trumped a parental need to stand my principled ground. I began to wonder what message I was sending. A band-aid was NOT going to improve her condition - I knew that. But perhaps my care and concern might make a difference.

I told her we could get a band-aid out of the diaper bag. She calmed down and began dressing her "wound". I almost laughed out loud when she asked for verification, "Which toe was it?"

To her solitary surprise, the toe continued to hurt even after applying the bandage.

"I just need one more. Please!"

I said no. Unnecessary supplies blossoming toward excessive behavior would not do.

She persisted, "Please, may I have another one? This one doesn't cover my toe. I just don't want to see it at all."

Just as she was about to unwrap a second off-brand bandage, she sighed, "Ah, man, these are the kind that always come off. Every time I use this kind, they don't work!"

As she shifted her attention toward baking biscuits and setting the table, I pondered her plight and sensed a deeper truth.

I thought of Mandisa's song,

Some people try to listen to the bottom of a bottle.
Some people try to listen to a needle in their arm.
Some people try to listen to the money in their pocket.
Some people try to listen to another's arms.

You and I are not that different.
We got a void and we're just tryin' to fill it up.
With something that will give just a little peace.
All we want is a hand to reach to
Open arms that say I love you
We'd give anything to hear
The voice of a Savior.


So many people are hurting. They think they know what will help. And when it doesn't immediately soothe - or as the initial relief wears off, they think they need more and more of that ineffective "cure".

Basically, they just don't want to see the hurt or realize the pain...they're tired of knowing about it and thinking about it. And deep down. Way deep down, they fear that, yet again, this remedy will ultimately fail, and they will be left with the hurt.

Jesus is the Answer.
He can save the day.

Dear Father, help me have Your patience and compassion for those around me who are wounded and weary. Help me not to be distracted by the futility of what they seek. Please help me extend Your open arms, and speak Your mercy and love. Help me keep my own focus on You. I need YOUR peace.


"Praise the Lord.
How good it is to sing praises to our God,
How pleasant and fitting to praise him!

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
Great is our lord and mighty in power;
His understanding has no limit.

The Lord delights in those who fear him,
Who put their hope in His unfailing love."

- from Psalm 147