Thursday, October 15, 2009

People Last

Today I was chatting with a friend about selfishness. She reviewed her recent efforts to be a blessing. "I give money to God, rescue animals, donate to the library, and...well,...and people last, I guess." We chuckled at her honest, albeit disturbing list of priorities.

Those two words caught my attention. "People last." Isn't that such an easy approach to life? Do the work. Get the stuff. (Rescue a hound or two.) Make your way. Do your thang. And, at times, relational investment gets squeezed into the mix almost as an afterthought or coincidental bonus.

In the midst of interpersonal dealings, how tempting it is to consider our own preferences and potential benefits before an other's. "Me first. Other people last." Or if we're REALLY honorable, "God first (yay! even the Grammy-recipient rappers get this far) Me next. People last."

But with a few repetitions and a tilt of the head, it can sound completely different. "People last." "People LAST!"

Humans are eternal beings. The manner in which we treat one another has everlasting effect. Bless or curse. Gather or scatter. Confirm or deny. Peace or strife. Love or hate. Stuff in this life will be either eaten or destroyed. Souls are for keeps.

I struggle to find a righteous balance between productivity and personability. Too often I discard or ignore time with people just to get a couple more things done. I value the routine of responsibilities more than the household of hearts. I set my mind on earthly tasks and time while eternity holds everything of worth. The only way to access that treasure now, is to set my heart toward the Creator and the ones He has made in His image. Love God. Love folks.

In Matthew 22, Jesus says, "Love the Lord, your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it, 'Love your neighbor as yourself'. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Then in John, He shares with His followers during their last supper, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another....Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."


Next time I'm tempted to put people last, I hope to remember: people last.