Monday, June 15, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Monday, June 15, 2009...

Outside my window... bright, muggy heat has overtaken our lives. A three-digit heat index is predicted for the remainder of this week.

I am thinking...of ALL that has happened since my last daybook. A week of treatment and testing for "late onset gestational hypertension" eventually leading to an earlier than early Cesarean.

I am thankful for...good friends. Keeping my technological needs at the forefront of the agenda, April snapped some photos and then posted them on facebook for me...the day of the birth! Celina brought a laptop with wi-fi to my hospital room so that I could access the outside world. (Though pain meds prevented much surfing, it was comforting to have the option) Kathy endured excess mileage, memory cards, and vending machine meals to ensure that I was well cared for, my baby was well photographed, and that we both might enjoy a balance of kind visitors and quiet rest. What a treasure she is.

Lisa and Katy and Megan and Rhonda and Josh and Kathy and JW and Mom worked as a cheerful team to watch over my children. Philip was able to get to know his new daughter, spend time with me, AND complete his work week. What a blessing. Thank You, God, for friends and family who POUR out Your loving kindness!

From the learning rooms...not quite sure...I'll have to check into that one, and get back with ya.

From the kitchen...leftover spaghetti from Missy, leftover enchiladas from Lea, and leftover pizza from Gucci's. I'm so impressed that my friends were able to show out with a feast fit for an army. What a treat to give the oven (and the Momma) a rest for a few days.

I am wearing...NORMAL capris!! I'm not back to normal in terms of weight and shape, but Praise the Lord, I'm headed that way! I was teasing with a friend yesterday about having lost 15 pounds this week. She staunchly asserted that she was NOT interested in my particular weight loss program. Ah, come on! Join the fun.

I am creating...a to-do list for my darling. He'll be here all this week. And he scored because the kids are attending VBS every morning. He and Mari are getting the oil changed and tired rotated this morning in addition to some other errands. Hopefully tomorrow, he'll be able to stick around and do some long-awaited "biggies" like pulling out the washing machine/dryer and cleaning behind them. I love him.

I am going...to venture out on Thursday. Elizabeth and I each have check-ups and she needs her second PKU test at the hospital lab. Our first mother/daughter date...like the whole first week of her life hasn't been one big, fat, mother/daughter date!

I am reading...my list of visitors and gifts that Kathy wrote in the hospital. I'm determined to communicate my gratefulness in a timely fashion. Other than that, the pain meds make it a wee bit difficult to focus on small print, much less, character development and plot resolution.

I am hoping...our family is able to truly enjoy this week together. Sadly, we're not used to being ALL together. I hope we can deliberately make the most of this week, and that the weeks to come will be enriched with purpose and praise.

I am hearing...the baby squeak and squirm in her cradle, and the hum of computer tower. That's it. Ahhhhhhh...good times.

Around the house...a little laundry, a few books, some unopened mail, and generally a peaceful, easy feeling.

One of my favorite things...is the scent of a baby's head after her bath. Can I get a witness? After Philip bathed her for the first time at home, I wrapped her in a warm, soft blanket, held her close and breathed deeply. Is there anything better?

A few plans for the rest of the week...nurse a baby, change diapers, sleep(comfortably, though briefly), eat(wisely & not emotionally), nurse some more...you get the idea.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...Thank You, God for little girls!

To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.