Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Philip & I have been married for fifteen amazing years.

I remember someone asking me shortly before the wedding, "How do you know for sure he's the one?" I thought about it for a minute. Stalling, actually, because who can be SURE of anything. Then it occurred to me. I saw my future as a big drama production...stage, set, sound, etc. In my mind, I switched out every conceivable backdrop in terms of setting: city, country, jungle; poverty, wealth, insanity. I changed out all the imaginary costuming and props. I added and subtracted cast members like friends, family, and future children. I ran through all the possible story lines: thrilling or horrifying; blissful or boring; safe & secure or downright scary. In all cases, the one thing I could never get my brain to alter was the leading man. He was there, standing firm, looking lovingly handsome forever.



Thank You, Lord, for guiding and protecting each of us as we journey closer to You and to each other. Thank You for Your love that makes all of life a blessing. Thank You for Your perfect strength that carries us in times when we are weak. Thank You for Your wisdom and patience when the choices are difficult. Thank You for Your forgiveness and compassion. It's the only way to truly live.