Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Off Day

We did ZERO school today. I woke up early, had some coffee, fed the kids breakfast, and from there, the day's momentum stalled out. The boys wanted to get out their winter clothes. The girls wanted to go back outside to resume their colossal cardboard creativity. Mari just wanted to watch "Five Little Ladybugs". I simply wandered around the house and allowed them all to have their own way.

Landen came into my room and with grand hand motions, explained, "Mom, WE are gonna put our clothes in piles. WE are gonna figure out what is too small. WE want to put all the summer stuff in bags and then WE want to open our tubs." Impressed by his premeditation, I told him that sounded good, and that after I warmed up my coffee, I'd be right there. He stopped me in my tracks - with more broad gestures. "NO, Mom! You always lose your mind. Every spring and every fall, you come in our room and before we have stuff all the way switched out, you are losin' your freakin' mind."

Alrighty then.

Dazed by his stinging, yet basically accurate depiction of previous wardrobe swaps, I meandered out to the patio to check on the girls. Again with the exaggerated non-verbals - "MOM! Don't come out here! We're not done creating our last dance number. PLEASE go back inside. We'll call you when we're ready."

Okie-dokie.

Dumbfounded by both their independence and rejection, I went to find Mari.

With mercifully subtle movements of her hands across the pillow beside her, she offered, "Seat, Momma. Seat, wash Lady Bugs n'me!"

By lunch the boys had marvelously packed up their summer clothes and neatly folded all the winter clothes and put them away in their drawers. The girls were ready for their debut. And Mari continued to think I was the funnest girl around.

Thank You, God, for days like this.