Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Something About Submission

I am learning something. Submission is the way to go. Hear me out, ok?

The other day Philip "called" me on something. He asked me to undo what I had done. Now, I don't usually make mistakes. Not usually. I wasn't convinced I had this time. But he felt strongly that I needed to take specific action.

I yielded to his request. (Still not certain I had tainted my near-perfect track record for general correctness:) I did what he asked sweetly and immediately.

Then I began to think about it. What if he's right?. What if I'm right. Then I wondered what impact my submission would have on either of the two discoveries. Let's say he thinks about it, and later, figures out that he was totally wrong. Won't it be easier for him to approach a sweet, humble wife in order to apologize. My choice to unify my actions with his thoughts, will have paved the road to real unity. Cool.

And let us imagine -if not merely for the sake of argument - that I was indeed wrong. (That was painful to type, really) My decision to heed his warning would in a sense "right" my "wrong" long before I would have - on my own accord - even acknowledged my mistake. I would have been protected from prolonged unrighteousness by choosing to submit to his leadership. Very cool.

Either way the cookies crumble (yes, there are always more than one cookie), the wise thing to do is submit. I know it can seem hard sometimes. I heard a woman ask once, "How am I supposed to submit to this man who can't even drive across town without my help?". I know. I know.

Dear Father, help me be ready to admit when I am wrong. I long for Your righteousness, and I know a big chunk of that is going to come as I humble myself before You and those whom You've placed in my life to lead me. I can be hard-headed. Forgive me, please. Soften my heart and even my head. And every once in a while, when You and I both know I didn't do anything wrong...I'll be quiet and let You work it for Good. I trust You. You have made me glad.