Friday, August 01, 2008

Party On

As I thought of the lady in Bible study who just saw her husband off to Iraq for the year, I was shamefully convicted of my whiny, pouty attitude. My husband has only been gone a week, and he'll surely be home soon. All our needs are provided and he is being compensated quite well for his energies. So, we're done.

Now that I shut that pity party down, let me tell you about the festivities de jour.

Two of my friends came over earlier to drop off daughters. They both stayed for a cup of coffee and I warmed up some banana bread. The toddlers played in the middle of the living room floor while we chatted. So nice...

Our neighbor invited the boys to swim just as JW and Landen were leaving for Longview. After the ladies left, I went to work preparing "luncheon" for the girls who were already dressed and adorned in various combinations of ballet garb and my old silk nighties, complete with hats and gloves.

The boys came in from swimming around noon, saw all the "froof" and quickly asked to pack a lunch in order to remain outside the rest of the day. What a fantastic idea! I slapped together 4 turkey sandwiches, tossed in a bag of chips & some clementines, and added bottled green tea and diet dr peppers (just 'cause). They were completely satisfied and grateful. "Buh-bye!"

Now back to the party at hand...
I invited the girls to come frost & decorate the cookies Mrs. Kimberly had sent over. What a fun project! By the time they finished, I had "luncheon" prepared.
I heard the girls discussing their fictional countries of origin.
"I'm from France!"
"I want to be from London!"
"No, you can't, that's France and I'M from France."
"No, Paris is in France, she can be from London."
"Great! I love being from London!"
"I'm from Hawaii!"
"I've heard the food here is faaaabuous!"
"I do hope the maid brings those darling little sandwiches I adore!"


As I served the platters of freshly diced fruit, potato crisps, and sandwich rolls, the girls reminded one another to keep their pinkies up at all times. I poured their drinks and Ashli asked in her fanciest voice, "Is this gatorade?" Feeling pulled into the vortex of make believe, I submissively replied in my French housemaid accent, "Oui, Oui, Mademoiselle, et es Ade de la Gator" (and I rolled the 'r' in Gator for a few fancy seconds). All four girls looked up at me and smiled. With a wink and a curtsy, I disappeared into the kitchen to pour more potato crisps out of the Frito Lay bag.





BBQ roast beef is simmering in the crock pot and whole wheat buns await the dinnertime tasty embrace. I was able to sweep & mop the floors after "luncheon", so I may serve dinner a la fresca -- isn't that "outdoors" or "with cheese on top"...either way, we're good. We will be gone tomorrow, so there's a chance my floors might stay neat for 24 hours. woo-hoo! Ummm, I smell BBQ...wanna come for dinner? If you're real sweet, I'll let you eat at the table inside ...

Thank You, God, for today.