Tuesday, July 01, 2008

PG-12.5

This morning the boys and I were trying to get an hour of lessons in before I headed out to Bible Study. It turned into 30 minutes of lessons interrupted by 15 minutes of giggling and then we just had to stop. Before we cracked up, we cracked open the Human Anatomy book for this school year. (uh-huh...you know where this is headed)

We read about the endocrine system and the respiratory system with little incident. Then we saw the paragraph and ILLUSTRATION of the urinary system. Giggles galore. I said, "Guys, are you really gonna crack up laughing every time we see a penis this year? What about every time we see a nose, or an elbow? This is Human Anatomy and we are going to study it all year. OK?"

"Eh-hem. Yes Ma'am."

Beep. Turn the page.

Ah, the reproductive system complete with more illustrations. I'm thinking we should go back to video master teachers. We concentrated on reading the paragraph that listed organs and described processes. As the boys alternated reading aloud, I corrected many of their initial pronunciations. Despite four sibling births, and some age-appropriate, informational fly-by's over the last few years, Landen had missed some key components to the "big picture". "Mom, this picture makes it look like a baby would come out down where you...you go to the bathroom."

Yes, well...

I sipped my coffee. I looked at my watch. Luke called my bluff and clued his older brother in. "Dude, girls have three holes: tee-tee, poo-poo, and that Virginia deal."

We're done. Really, really done. Like, forever. Seriously.