Thursday, May 08, 2008

Makin' & Bakin'

I'm leaving tomorrow at the "bcd" to drive to Arlington and attend the Home School Book Fair....four friends meandering through half a square mile of nothin' but books and school supplies! (a very happy place, indeed)

In my absence Philip will need to takeover the birthday party circuit. Two gifts are literally "in the bag" but one was a sewing project that waited for today. I was sewing at the table as the kids were having lunch. My thread had broken seven times and I was really frustrated. Just as Luke asked if I thought he could win his game tonight, Ashlin asked if she could have more milk. As though she could hear my thoughts, Ardyn piped up: "Everybody stop asking so many questions! Momma is trying to finish and she's stressed out!" I stopped the machine. I smiled and said "Yes" as I poured the milk. (yep, I'm still a wretch, and Ardyn loves me anyway)

In order for me to finish all my projects and attend the games tonight, James offered to make the lasagna for dinner. I valiantly fought every urge to coach him over his shoulder. I left the room and concentrated on sewing. He was supposed to double the recipe. He did except for the eggs. His thoughts: "What are eggs really good for in lasagna anyway?" He chose only to use one box of noodles despite the large pot of meat sauce and vat of seasoned cheese. The result, though tasty, had to be renamed due to it's lack of height and cohesiveness. He says, "If Phil thinks that's lasagna, I'll never hear the end of it! I'm callin' it 'Italian Cobbler!"

There's more to share, but Mari's about to wake up and as I find myself saying almost constantly, "We gotta go!". More later...

CDJ