Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Bounty at the Ballpark

I rushed to get the girls to the ballpark this evening, so dinner was postponed. I had decided that this might need to be a "cheese stick w/ranch" night for them. Two bucks and it occupies them for at least one inning. Though I enjoy the aroma of pickled peppers soaking in a pond of cheezy goop and salty chips, I was seriously regretting not packing something more healthful. Just as I sat down to cheer Luke on, my friend walked up with a deep silver dish. She sat down and began serving her family homemade pizza supreme - complete with whole wheat crust and minimal cheese. And oh, the toppings! Spinach, onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, and beef. I complemented both her culinary technique and its unexpected portability. As her family was chowing down and watching the game, she announced that she had several extra pieces. I would normally be far too proud to accept such an offer, but with "trans-fat in a foam bowl" as my next available option, I had me a piece o' the pie! It tasted even better than it smelled. Thank You, Lord for good friends who are good cooks with leftovers. I am blessed.