Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Big Day Off

Yesterday was fabulous.
I got up before everyone else and went for a walk.
I came back, fed the kids breakfast and folded laundry.
I showered and readied myself for the day at large.

Philip and I left around noon.
We shopped in Terrell and enjoyed a late, light lunch.
We made it to the ballpark and met up with the Flannerys.
We spread blankets on the grassy hillside and soaked up the sunshine, friendship and tunes.

Then it was over to our seats in the home-run porch.
As the sun set, the warmth of good company dominated the cool night air.
After a brisk walk back to the car, we hugged our goodbyes and headed back.
It was a quiet ride home.
Philip and I occasionally brought up things we rarely get to talk about in the busyness of routine.
We held hands and I dozed between topics.
Just as we were exiting the highway, Alison Krauss began to sing on the radio.
"The smile on your face lets me know that you need me,
There's a look in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me,
The touch of you hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall.
You say it best when you say nothin' at all..."

When we returned home, everyone was asleep, and the house was tidy. (plus on JW) Philip offered to teach the Sunday School lesson so I could sleep in... and the spirit of holiday continued. I wondered what could improve such a perfect day, when he turned on the TV and one of my favorite, old, obscure movies was just beginning. I watched a few moments of it...satisfied in the mere opportunity.

Now it's back to the real world for a while. But IT even looks better and brighter today.
Thank You, Lord, for refreshment. Thank You for friends. Thank You for my husband. Thank You for my big day off. I love You.