Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

Ok, so adding those ads kinda shut the rig down, huh?

Christmas.... Very nice. I think I had geared my emotions to be without Philip and so even though he showed up, I was half-way down the road of sadness. It was taken weeks to try to make that u-turn. I need therapy, it's ok, you can say it.

New Years.... Very fun. We had a bunch of friends come over and eat brunchie foods. We played RockStar on PS2 and lit fireworks in the backyard. We welcomed the new year with comfortable conversation and cream cheese in various forms.

Birthday Season... Ashlin turned 5 while Philip was in Oklahoma. Luke turned 10 on January 5th. Landen will be 12 next Wednesday. Ardyn will be 7 on February 2nd. Pheww! The boys are having their second annual "Johnson Bowl" next Saturday. They've invited 12 friends and their fathers to play flag football and eat pizza. It should be fun.

Pizza... We have joined a dozen other couples at church in a competition to be the "Biggest Loser". It's a team sport, with no raw data. We combine our weights and weight-loss and report our percentage lost each week. We started Jan 2, and have reported once. Philip and I came in 4th this week, but the competition runs through March. There were some skinny little folks ahead of us and we're pretty sure they couldn't conjure up another 5 pounds. We've got so many pounds to choose from, we should be able to lead the pack in a short while.

Maybe not this week... Yesterday we celebrated 14 years of marriage. Fourteen years! Can you even believe? We went to Olive Garden --just like the good ol' days. I was a good girl and ordered minestrone and salad...no bread sticks. I did eat all 4 Andes mints, though. I love those things. Philip did half a tour of Italy last night and the other half for lunch today. I tried to tell him about the salad dressing and Alfredo sauce. He was persuaded otherwise.

I'm so glad I married him. We've had some rough patches, but just patches...the vast meadow of our relationship is lush and green from all vantages. ok, that was cheezy...but seriously, I looked across the table at him last night and realized that I wouldn't want to be eating with anyone else in the whole world. He's kind, and honest and real. He thinks I'm cute. That's gonna take us far, y'all!

It was fun to dream together for 2008. By the time we celebrate our 15th anniversary (in Hawaii???) we intend to be trim, healthy, debt-free (except for the house), and one year happier. We are off to a great start. Praise the Lord!

New stuff... I am going to take up the cello again. I bought Todd Agnew's Christmas CD and began to miss the days of Travis Jr. High where he and I battled it out each week for first chair. We took guitar class together in college, and he seems to have put that learning to good use! He was always more talented than I. But I think I can do it. I've got a library book, and a lead on a used cello. AND I've conditioned my wrist flexibility and finger strength through several hours of Guitar Hero. I'm pitiful...shameful in many ways.

You can pray for me... obviously with no sweets, and making time to exercise each day, and living intensely toward frugality, AND re-learning a stringed instrument... You can pray for me. I also need the Lord to heal my wretched mouth...I guess heal my wretched heart, then that junk spewing from my mouth will have healing qualities. I'm just not sweet with my kids. I don't know if I'm tired of being surrounded by them. (That's not their fault, I chose the current set-up) Or if I've raised them so poorly that I shudder to see the result of my efforts and then transfer my disgust with myself onto them (That's neither their fault). I keep waiting to "be better". It's not happening. Help me, if you could.

Proverbs 15 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly...The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life...A happy heart makes the face cheerful...The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly...A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel...A man finds joy in giving an apt reply--how good is a timely word! The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil...A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones. He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise...The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor."