Saturday, December 22, 2007

Out in the Open

I've been itching to blog for 3 days. Philip is HOME! He wanted to surprise his mom today by just driving up in her driveway as she assumed he was still in Oklahoma. Since she's my biggest blog fan, I had to keep my homecoming celebrations on the down-low.

Merry Christmas, Becki, your boy made it home!

Philip is REALLY into surprises. This frustrates me. I am a lover of information. Surprises....not so much. I felt a spirit of allusiveness as we spoke on Wednesday night. I said, "Don't do anything stupid like just showing up in our kitchen, ok?" There was a long pause. He WAS planning a drop in. I stated in my most serious voice: "I'm a little stressed. I need to know what you know." He surrendered the truth that his truck was packed and he was headed home Thursday morning. We agreed to keep it from the kids. They were so thrilled to see him later that evening. They shrieked, and screamed, and then there was a 7 minute group hug. Very nice. I waited my turn then I kissed that guy 'cause he'd been gone too long, and it was very wonderful to have him showing up in my kitchen!

When my oldest brother went on a two-week mission trip last month, he was given wise counsel on the flight home. "Do you have your 9 dimes?" the wise guy asked. "Huh?" (Tim was confused) "I know you miss your wife, so when you get home take your 9 dimes out of your pocket and throw them into the front yard. Tell your kids as soon as they find all 10 dimes, they can come in the house...."

Well, I took 9 dimes, added a twenty dollar bill, and handed it all to James. I told him to take the suburban filled with kids to a movie. He was confused. I've never commissioned such a field trip -- especially on a school night. I raised my eye brows and gave him that goofy grin that grosses him out, and he took the kids and the money and ran. Woo-hoo! When everyone returned, we were able to spend the rest of the evening together as a family without all the goofy grinning....well, I guess there was a little goofy grinning.... I can't help it.

Philip got to hunt a little yesterday and has been called out to work twice today....poor guy. We had a great time with the J's today. I have the cutest nieces in the world!

Tomorrow there is only one worship service ALL day. I'm looking forward to taking it easy in the morning -- not having to rush off to early service and gear up for evening activities. Family Day!

Thank You, God for loving us and taking care of us. Thank You for teaching me to live with anticipation...waiting for a return. I know You're sending Your Son again. Help me live deliberately with Hope and Peace. Thank You for Jesus.