Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Just Boring Details of the last 24 hours

Last night James and Megan and I were up late finishing up some Christmas gifts we've been working on together. The kids had been in bed for a while. Around 11:30, Ashlin emerged from her room. She leaned her head against the door frame and said, "I woked up and now my birthday is in my heart." I couldn't send her back to bed to face the dawning of her new year alone. We dug out the video of the day she was born and had a little party. On December 12, 2002, Tim surprised me by flying to Texas from Washington just in time for Ashlin's birth. My hormone enhanced super-emotional reaction was caught on tape. Very embarrassing. It was fun to see the kids...all so little, it seems. Ashli saw her daddy holding her in the hospital and started crying. "I miss my daaaaaad!" I asked her if we needed to stop watching. She said no and we dried our eyes and watched the excitement of her first Christmas. After Megan left, midnight stroked, and Ashlin needed a cupcake. James believes cupcakes go really well with nachos. My husband's gone, so I busted out crab meat and peanuts. It was a disgusting little festival...all milling around the kitchen...talking about how we all needed to be in our respective beds. Ashlin suggested that she be invited to sleep with me in honor of her birthday and to help me cope with the loneliness. I agreed.

I got her settled shortly after 1am. (Cue: Baby cry) I then spent the next couple hours with Mari. We tried my bed. We tried the recliner. I guess her teeth were bothering her. I thought she might need a dose of crab meat or cupcake, but decided on children's pain reliever instead. Around 4am I put her back in her bed and she slept until morning. I struggled and strained to get as much rest jammed into those next few hours.

Ashli's party had been postponed until Friday (Thank You Lord for ordering my steps). We got up and around then met some friends down at the visual arts center. We made pottery bowls. They will be sold at a fundraiser in the Spring and all the proceeds will go to the local food pantry. It was big fun. Kathy and Sean went with us and we all took Ash to CiCi's for lunch. After we came home, we all camped out in the living room to watch the Cosby show. I snoozed. Kathy kept all the kids quiet and even unloaded my dishwasher and sink....just 'cause she loves me so. Tomorrow we MUST do school lessons! Remind me!

Just when I was thinking, "Wednesday....we're half-way through the week...Philip will be home soon...." HE CALLED. He sounded good. He was eating and said it was a "mess". He got to talk to Ash and then told me he would be shocked if he were home before the 23rd. Do you know what day comes after the day after the 23rd? I got real sad real quick. We'll just have to see. But for now, I need to extend my mental scope and sequence for surviving single parenthood a little longer :)

Adult choir had dress rehearsal tonight for our Christmas Concert this Sunday. The kids wanted to watch a movie when we got home, so I said 'sure' and Mari and I wrestled and giggled on my bed until she was good and sleepy. I dosed her up, and laid her down. She was tuckered out....I pray she sleeps well. I let the girls sleep on the floor in the boys' room so that if Mari does need to cry she will have all the privacy she needs (wink).

I'm making a list and checking it twice for things to start/finish/mail by Friday. I plan to use datenight (sniff sniff) as Christmas shopping night for the kids. James can hang out with the kids and I can check off all my lists....one of my favorite things to do.

More later....eew....perhaps less later?