Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Farther Along

I woke up early yesterday morning. So many things on my mind. Every mental path leading to the same clearing where there's a huge sign that reads "You're Old". It's so weird...I'm at this age where I look in the mirror and behold gray hairs AND pimples. Shouldn't there be some sort of trade-off if I'm really growing up?

Thirty-six years ago my young mother held me for the first time. The photographs indicate that I was born on a bad hair day with jet black, four-inch strands of newborn glory headed in every direction. Apparently bad hair days are passed through the umbilical cord, because the photos of mom seem to verify that one beehive hairdo plus one night of labor equals two "whoa-hey"s and a "wow".

Ok, so about my consuming thoughts on aging....they pressed on late into the night. I was struck with mid-life insomnia. I was wide awake until 3 something this morning. Like my body wouldn't allow itself to embark upon the 37th year. I finally settled down and before long, everyone in the house was starting their day.

I must brag on my husband who after a mere 14 years of intense training achieved gift-giving greatness this year. He splurged not. (Which means there was no budget-associated guilt accompanying my celebration) At first, things looked bleak as he broke rule #1: Don't blow your money on sending flowers, when he called the florist. But he thought it through, took it slow, and ordered a silk arrangement for the dining room table. Plus! It matches PERFECTLY and won't die next week.

The children worshipped my trodden tile all day long. They kissed and hugged; sang and danced; wrote love notes, and obeyed. Nothin' but love, love, love.

Mari went with me to take the boys to football practice. We toodled about town waiting for practice to conclude. We walked around Lowe's and talked about all the cool stuff. Then we went to Big Lots where I found the most perfect creme-colored planter in the shape of an elephant. She said she totally wanted to buy it for my birthday. I bought her some crackers and a Playschool toy to return the favor.

James and Luke teamed up to make some special dreams come true as they cleaned out all the kitchen drawers and lined them with ....drawer liners. Sounds drab, but oh, the love, love, love.

Thank You, Father God, for another day to praise You. Help me keep Your perspective for my days. Thank You for loving me through friends and family. Thank You for my centerpiece and all that it represents. Thank You for being patient with us as we try to better serve you with the resources You've provided. Thank You for my children. You give good gifts! When I think about Your love and all You've done and all You've given ...I have to say "Hallelujah! Thank You, Jesus!"