Saturday, January 06, 2007

Johnson Christmas Brunch

Back in 2006 (3 weeks ago) we hosted the Johnson Christmas Gathering at our place. I would have posted a blog about our fun day then, but I was busy getting ready, and then I was busy sitting on the couch with my feet up. I absolutely enjoyed the cooking part of preparations -- the cleaning I could have done without :) We ended up with quite a "spread". We were missing a few folks due to some last minute stuff, so my large batches soon became enormous surplus. My sweet father-in-law made my day as he entered the kitchen and said "OOOH, would ya look at all them groceries!" He continued stroking my culinary ego as he continued, "You just never know what Cari's gonna have cooked, but you can bet it's gonna taste good, that's for sure!" I know in my heart I've become a better cook over the last 13 years -- motivated by Fred's constant flow of affirming words....and his cleanly-licked plates.

All the cousins opened presents from Nonnie and Papaw....well, we all know Nonnie picked them out....no the Toys'R'Us helper-lady picked them out, but Nonnie wrapped them. Papaw enjoys sharing the surprise with the grandkids. People drank coffee on the patio. Several kids (and a couple adults) made bead art together. We made great use of the swingset Papaw built, and a chosen few received shoulder-rubs from Aunt Tammi. Wowwie, wow, wow! I don't normally like the whole touchy-feely bonding stuff, but that girl....hands of steel and a heart of gold. As the kids played with their loot, adults snoozed in recliners (the man of the house led the way on that one), while the dining table and kitchen counter received a steady flow of "grazers" throughout the afternoon. Thank you to everyone who came to visit...we definitely missed the ones who couldn't make it. Merry Christmas everybody!

Someone asked me a while back for some of the recipes used that day. Sorry about the wait.

Baked Spinach-and-Artichoke Dip
2 (6oz)pkg fresh baby spinach
1 Tbs butter
1 pkg 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 (14oz)can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
Fresh pita wedges or baked pita chips

1. Microwave spinach in a large, microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 3 minutes or until wilted. Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels. Chop spinach.
2. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cream cheese, and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until cream cheese melts. Fold in spinach, artichokes, sour cream, and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese; stir until cheese melts.
3. Transfer mixture to a 1-qt, shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
4. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately with fresh pita wedges or baked pita chips.

(Published in Southern Living 11/2006; submitted by Fran Rifkin, CA)

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans crescent rolls
2 pkg 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cinnamon/sugar mixture

1. Spray a 9x13 dish and line it with one can of rolls(unrolled into a big rectangle)
2. Mix softened cream cheese and sugar until creamy then spread it over the rectangle.
3. Lay second can of dough over cream cheese.
4. Sprinkle the cin/sug mixture over the rectangle and then pour melted butter over the whole darn thing.
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until it's golden (you'll smell it!)
6. Eat some when it comes out of the oven, then save some for coffee in the morning. YUM-MEEEE!

Celina gave me this recipe after she made it for my birthday dinner....I'm too lazy to hunt down the actual-factual, so this is my best recollection and a new, jazzy title! This is one of many attempts to copy-cat and convince my family that I'm almost as good a cook as "Mrs. Celina".