Saturday, November 04, 2006

Q & A

We were playing our usual dinnertime game...the one Uncle James made up where we take turns asking a question and hearing one another's responses around the table. The question making the rounds was Luke's: "If you could attend a party hosted by anyone in the world, who would that host be?" I said "Martha Stewart...not for a good time, but for great ideas and intriguing, thematic decor." James said "Cari" ('cause he knew I'd be serving brownies soon and he wanted a double portion). We got around to Sean (Ashli's 4-year-old buddy) who answered immediately "Ash" as he pointed his thumb over his shoulder at his good, good friend. We all sighed, overcome by the sheer sweetness. Then someone asked him "Why Ashli?" He replied with similar promptness and heartfelt resolve: "Cause I just love her alot." Ashli, not wanting the moment to fade, leaned into his ear, and while the rest of us bustled our reactions, she probed, "Why do you love me so much?" He smiled and said, "I don't know, I just do."

Everyone should have a friend like that!